ABOUT ECLIPSES, MENTIONED IN MARCELLIN'S COMITICI CHRONICON
Morozov has mentionned of several eclipses, described in Marcellin.
Attention! Here they go not in chronological order!
1. In (1) on p.326 there is information in chapter I-X about eclipse, mentioned in Marcellin's Comitici Chronicon (2), (3, № 68):
"497. V Anastasii Aug. II Solius. Solis defectus apparuit" i.e. "in 5-th year of Anastasy August (Saint) II, sovereign-powerful, appeared the eclipse of Sun".
Exact date is not specified, is specified only year. On canon Krasilinikova we find the eclipses, which were seen in this and neighboring years from Konstantinopolya. Result: the least bit existed the eclipse on april 18 497 from Konstantinopolya with phase 0.686, from Rome 0.679, from Athens with phase 0.76, with Sardinii 0.738, from Sicily 0.85. Possible, it was an зараннее (or back number) predicted and was not observed.
2. In the other place of chronicon persons Marcellina we read (the Morozov (1) p. 327, I-XI), (3, № 69):
"Year 512 (on Morozov obviously pasted by following handler). V of Paul and Muscian. The defect of sun held in those times".
In 512 took place the eclipse of sun, well observed from Constantinopol (on Krrasilnikov's canon with phase 0.921). About it is going in the Paschale Campanum.
3. On p. 345 in Morozova in (1) there is упоминаие in section II-III else about one eclipse from this chronically ill persons (2, str.63), (3, № 65):
"Consulate Feodosi III (the year) and Abundanc. Father of Honory Feodosy maked him Caesar in the same the place, as brother its Arcadia i.e. in seven miles from king's residence (in Gebdomone). Then nondoubtly in the one third a hour has occurred the darkness".
This eclipse is in detail considered on page about Consulario Italiano.
Conclusion: the Marcellin's Chronicon is quite well confirmed by astronomical methods
1. Morozov N.A. Christ. Volume 4. Moscow. KRAFT-Lean, 1998
2. Marcellini: "Comitici Chronicon" ("Monumenta Germanica" Auctores antiqui XI, 94).
3. Spezieller Kanon der Sonnen- und Mondfinsternisse fur das Landregebiet der klassische Altertumswissenschaften und ben Zeitraum von 900 vor Chr bis 600 nach Chr von F.K.Ginzel Standigem Mitgliede des Konigl. Astronomische Recheninstitutes, Berlin Mayer & Muller 1899
Return to main author's
Return to main page about chronology
Having click here you send any message to author